The West Broadway Commons will provide 110-unit, mixed-income apartments, with over 3,000ft2 of street-level commercial space.
The project embraces cultural diversity and social inclusion and has a several priority objectives:
- increases the number/quality of available rental units in the neighbourhood
- will provide a minimum of 28 affordable rental rates
- commits to the inclusion of barrier free suites
- ensures common areas are meet with universal design standards and that the building is visitable
- achieves an energy rating 30% better than the 2015 National Energy Building Code
- emphasizes alternative transportation (transit, car sharing and cycling amenities)
- animates the street level with vibrant commercial activities
- focuses on quality design that fits with the character of the neighbourhood
The building features welcoming and programmable common area and amenities with extraordinary views, for residents and visitors. Common areas include a warming kitchen, a multi-purpose room & lounge, a gym and a space that allows for smudging.
The total projected cost of the building is $28.5 million. The Joint Venture is in the process of securing a mortgage for $22 million and has specific plans for funding from impact investments and various grant programs of $3.5 million. To complete the project, we require an estimated $3 million in donations.
Opportunities to Donate
Donors can make a general donation to the project, or they can take on a specific project to:
- Covert market units to affordable units, supporting low-cost housing for families
- Help with improvements to the 1952 church annex, including new washrooms and an updated meeting room
- Contribute to the cost of inclusion/accessibility throughout the building
- Contribute to the purchase of solar panels and other sustainability features
- Contribute to the mechanical upgrade to support smudging
- Assist in the purchase of common area furniture and equipment, supporting resident and community uses
- Aid in the beautification of the courtyard and outdoor amenity spaces
Donations can be made by pledges over a period of up to five years. By December 2022, all cash relating to pledges will need to be received. If the project does not proceed, all donations will be returned or re-directed to other projects in the parish, as the donor wishes. Donations by means of financial securities will be gratefully received.
Plans to break ground in summer of 2018 with completion in spring 2020.
Joint Venture Owners: UWCRC 2.0 Inc. and All Saints Anglican Church
Developer: University of Winnipeg Community Renewal Corporation 2.0 Inc.
Architect: Number Ten Architectural Group
Construction Manager: Bockstael Construction Limited