The West Broadway Commons will provide 110-unit, mixed-income apartments, with over 3,000 ft2 of street-level commercial space.
The project embraces cultural diversity and social inclusion and has several priority objectives:
- increase the number/quality of available rental units in the West Broadway neighborhood
- provide a minimum of 51% affordable rental units
- offer a fully visitable building with a minimum of 21% barrier free and/or adaptable suites
- animate the street level with vibrant commercial activities
- support alternative transportation (transit, car sharing and cycling amenities)
- achieve an energy rating 30% better than the 2015 National Energy Building Code
- focus on quality design that fits with the character of the neighbourhood
The building features welcoming and programmable common area and amenities with extraordinary views, for residents and visitors. Common areas include a warming kitchen, a multi-purpose room & lounge, a gym and a space that allows for smudging.
The Joint Venture has secured various grants, donations, and impact investments and is in the process of securing additional public contributions and mortgage financing. To complete the project, we require an additional $1 million in donations, against which the All Saints congregations are committed to raising $500k. The Joint Venture is now seeking generous community and/or corporate donors to top up the balance.
Opportunities to Donate
Donors can make a general donation to the project, or they can take on a specific project to:
- Convert market units to affordable units, supporting low-cost housing for families
- Support the cost of inclusion/accessibility throughout the building
- Support the purchase of solar panels and other sustainability features
- Allow for the mechanical upgrade to support smudging
- Assist in the purchase of common area furniture and equipment, supporting resident and community uses
- Aid in the beautification of the courtyard and outdoor amenity spaces
- Help with improvements to the 1952 church annex, including new washrooms and an updated meeting room
Donations to the project can be made through All Saints Anglician Church by means of pledges over a period of up to five years. By December 2022, all cash relating to pledges will need to be received. If the project does not proceed, all donations will be returned or re-directed to other projects in the parish, as the donor wishes. Donations by means of financial securities will be gratefully received.
Main Floor Commercial Opportunities
The West Broadway project is seeking business owners, entrepreneurs, companies and organizations, interested in opportunities to become ground floor tenants. In particular, we are seeking specialty retail, new food and beverage concepts, neighbourhood-scale commercial uses, and other community services. For more information visit our Request For Expressions of Interest page: Commercial Expression of Interest
Plans to break ground in 2019, with completion in 2020.
Joint Venture Owners: UWCRC 2.0 Inc. and All Saints Anglican Church
Developer: University of Winnipeg Community Renewal Corporation 2.0 Inc.
Architect: Number Ten Architectural Group
Construction Manager: Bockstael Construction Limited
For more information please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com